Sunday, September 5, 2010

Posh Cake


Father's Day usually means baking my Dad's favourite cake if I'm organized, and this year I was. It normally looks a little fancier with thin curls of orange zest on top but I don't know where my zester is - might be time to buy a new one methinks.

The recipe calls it Posh Cake, I don't know its origins except that the recipe came to me through my old sister in law (it was fun being married into a family of foodies).

You could be boring and just call this an Orange Poppy Seed Syrup Cake, but that takes a lot longer and doesn't sound as mysterious. This cake is delicious, moist and perfect with cream. And, it is so easy to make you can trick people into believing you have baking skills.

Posh Cake

* 1 cup of butter (240g)
* 1 cup of sugar
* 3 egg yolks
* 1 cup of sour cream
* grated rind of one orange and 1 lemon
* 1 + 3/4 cups self raising flour
* 3 egg whites (beat until peaks form)
* 2 tablespoons poppy seeds

cream butter and sugar
add egg yolks, sour cream and rind - beat until light and fluffy
add sifted flour and fold in the egg whites, then add poppy seeds
put into foil lined cake tin and bake at 160 C for 1 hour or until cooked through
remove from tin and place cake carefully onto a large plate with a rim

Orange Syrup

* grated rind of 2 oranges
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* juice of one lemon and 2 oranges

boil syrup for 3 minutes
pour hot syrup over cake
serve with cream

Love you Dad
Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment